Subject: XView and XhpBSD
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/19/1996 08:32:16
Hi there...

There seem to be some *serious* bugs in the hp300 X11R5 server... I know
that I don't tell you anything new, but sone XView-apps trigger these
bug(s)... first: ym problem with the cmdtool and utmp was a trivial
path-problem, under linux they have some functione in their libs to
manipulete utmp entries, so this problem doesn't appear there, but under
SunOS and Solaris utmp seems to reside in /etc/ but under NetBSD it is
found in /var/run... so I simply replaced a string with a macro (
_UTMP_PATH or so, defined in <utmp.h> )
Now to the bugs: olwmslave's helpwindow, the cmdtool/shelltool and the
clock crash XhpBSD, cause an corrupted corefile and the whole machine
hangs, the heartbeat led still blinks, ping-packets still get answers but
no 'higher' functions like telnet work anymore, so I have to reach for the
powerswitch... :-( the hp really lacks a reset-button sometimes...
So, you may say that my flaky portwork causes the crashes, but all these
programs run fine when their display is set to another machine with X11R6
running on it ( my linux-box, running XFree86 3.1.2G ) and the definitely
strangest: cmdtool started on the linux-box with display on the hp still
crashes the hp ! So it's definitely not my fault...

So - what about the long awaited X11R6 server ? is there a kind of a
bug-fix for the R5 ? ( I run the only one I found: the one from the 1.0
distribution )

bye
Michael