Subject: Re: Problems writing bootblock..
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Kevin Currie <kcurrie@on.bell.ca>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/17/1996 22:40:09
On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 21:17:08 -0500 (EST)
>  Kevin Currie <kcurrie@on.bell.ca> wrote:
>
>  > Installing boot block...disklabel: /dev/rsd0c: Undefined error: 0
>  >
>  > 	Does the C partitoin refer to the entire disk?  I thought that I
>  > had read that somewhere... As I want my root and usr to be on the same
>  > partition I only have partitions a and b.  Do I *need* to create another
>  > partition to finish the install?
>
> Yah... your disklabel ought to have a "c" partition which represents
> the entire disk.  This is actually farily important...
>
> ...and, looking at sdstrategy(), I think there's a bug here that I want
> to fix... Basically, the MI sd driver doesn't do partition translation
> iff the partition is RAW_PART (i.e. "c").  Unfortunately, the hp300
> doesn't use the MI SCSI code (yet) ... and it looks like we _always_ do
> partition translation... so, if you get a screwey offset/size for the "c"
> partition, you could really lose, not being able to write a new disklabel.
>
> I suppose I ought to fix that...
>
> In the mean time, you should be able to get SYS_INST to zap the disklabel
> for you, so you can write a "c" partition.

	Actually after posting that msg I actually made the C partition to
be the whole disk-- now what happens is after writing the disk label
(which is says is 0 bytes long I believe!) when it reboots the screen is
blank...  I`m assuming it's not a gfx card problem as when I tried
installing it on a 425 with a different gfx card a while back I got the
blank screen after booting SYS_INST....

	Any ideas?

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Bell SYGMA Telecom Solutions - Service Assurance-=-=-=-=-=-=+
|                     | HPUX / Solaris System Admin   |                      |
|  Kevin Currie       |	   kcurrie@on.bell.ca         |      Ottawa, Ontario |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-PGP Key:finger aa847@freenet.carleton.ca=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+