Subject: Re: Problems writing bootblock..
To: Kevin Currie <kcurrie@on.bell.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/17/1996 19:03:11
On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 21:17:08 -0500 (EST)
 Kevin Currie <kcurrie@on.bell.ca> wrote:

 > Installing boot block...disklabel: /dev/rsd0c: Undefined error: 0
 >
 > 	Does the C partitoin refer to the entire disk?  I thought that I
 > had read that somewhere... As I want my root and usr to be on the same
 > partition I only have partitions a and b.  Do I *need* to create another
 > partition to finish the install?

Yah... your disklabel ought to have a "c" partition which represents
the entire disk.  This is actually farily important...

...and, looking at sdstrategy(), I think there's a bug here that I want
to fix... Basically, the MI sd driver doesn't do partition translation
iff the partition is RAW_PART (i.e. "c").  Unfortunately, the hp300
doesn't use the MI SCSI code (yet) ... and it looks like we _always_ do
partition translation... so, if you get a screwey offset/size for the "c"
partition, you could really lose, not being able to write a new disklabel.

I suppose I ought to fix that...

In the mean time, you should be able to get SYS_INST to zap the disklabel
for you, so you can write a "c" partition.