Subject: Re: Re:still (terminator resistor)?? problems
To: Fletcher Christian <fletch2@ibm.net>
From: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/11/1996 21:21:10
In the last three days I have done quite a lot to make the QUANTUM
PD425S runing together with NetBSD. The parity thing(if you mean to
switch it off) I tried because of your mail just today after I played
around with the disk in very many ways. I even bacame unsure if the disk
is OK but today I put it onto a slow(2MB/s) PC-SCSI card and did
a mediainit and a format and copied a whole directory to it and did some
performance tests.

For now I can say that it doesn't seem to be the resistor thing. It
was said to me that terminator resistor problems do just occur if the bus
is very long. I have these three HP2212 disks in the external box
and also tried it without them. I put a second device onto the
internal bus(actually not sure if it was correctly terminated - it was a
Segate drive with a fitting set of resistors from another Segate drive),
I used a internal scsi cable terminator that has to be plugged between
the drive and the cable, I put it back into the HP box which has an
external terminator.

All this did not change the NetBSD behavior.

Unfortunately I do not have the QUANTUM terminator resistor set
(three 8-pin-something resistors). Maybe someone has such a disk and can
give me the exact parameters for the terminator resistor network.

The only thing that made the situation a small bit different was when I
closed the Wait Spin connector. Then the disk was at least identified
correctly by NetBSD(I tested this under DOS as well and it worked in
both situations). Although I still could not access it because
the HP-SCSI controller doesn't seem to start a SCSI device if it is not
started by itself. So I could not 'newfs' it under NetBSD or do any
further things just because it is not running.

Maybe it can be started manually somehow?

I would be glad to receive further information about SCSI in NetBSD.
Maybe the HP-SCSI driver does not work properly or there is something
awkward with the respond of the Quantum when it is asked at kernel boot
time. It seems if I increase the interleave in the disklabel that errors
reduce.

	Thanks for help and advice up to now

	Bye by Brusi