Subject: Re: still terminator resistor problems
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Fletcher Christian <fletch2@ibm.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/10/1996 16:39:28
Forwarding note from: Fletcher Christian <fletch2@ibm.net> 12/08/96  8:03pm EST

** Reply to note from Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de> 12/09/96  3:55pm +0100

> If I put the QUANTUM PD425S back into the HP disk box and
> plug an external terminator resistor into the open interface
> there are still scsi device errors.
>
> Can this be?
>
> The other hp disks(HP2212A) have beside their normal scsi interface
> another 10-pin connector that is used inside the hp-box. Is this one
> responsible for correct scsi termination?

Andreas,
        Have you considered SCSI parity?

                          Fletch

     ProDrive 425/425iS

          [o]Jumper Definitions
          [o]Drawing

                   Jumper  Setting   Description

                  EP       OFF     Parity
                                   disabled
                           ON      Parity enabled

                  WS       OFF     Wait Spin
                                   disabled

                           ON      Wait Spin
                                   enabled

                  SS       OFF     Self Seek
                                   disabled
                           ON      Self enabled
                  A0, A1,
                  A2       -       SCSI ID
                              Table 1

                   A2     A1    A0      SCSI ID
                  OFF   OFF   OFF    0
                  OFF   OFF   ON     1
                  OFF   ON    OFF    2
                  OFF   ON    ON     3
                  ON    OFF   OFF    4
                  ON    OFF   ON     5
                  ON    ON    OFF    6
                  ON    ON    ON     7
                              Table 2

     Termination Resistors

     One of the requirements of the SCSI bus is that it be
     properly terminated. If more than one SCSI device is
     connected to the host, the last device on each end of
     the bus must be terminated. The ProDrive disk drive
     utilizes three (3) Terminating Resistor packs, when
     installed these resistors enable termination on the SCSI
     bus. With the Terminating Resistor packs removed, bus
     termination is disabled.

     At the factory, Quantum configures the ProDrive
     425/425iS hard disk drive with termination enabled; that
     is, all three resistor packs are installed. To disable
     termination, remove the Terminating Resistor packs.

     Enable Parity (EP) Jumper

     The Enable Parity (EP) jumper is used to set the Parity
     option on the drive. With parity checking enabled (EP
     installed), the drive performs parity checking. With
     parity checking disabled (EP removed), the drive
     continues to generate parity information, but does not
     perform parity checking.

     At the factory, Quantum configures the ProDrive
     425/425iS hard disk drive with the EP jumper in place.

     SCSI-Bus Device Identification (A0 - A2) Jumpers

     Used in combination, the jumper settings across pins A2,
     A1 and A0 determine the ProDrive 425/425iS hard disk
     drive's SCSI-bus device I.D. By default, Quantum
     configures the drive with a SCSI ID of 6; that is, with
     jumpers installed across the pins labeled A2 and A1, and
     no jumpers installed across pins labeled A0.

     To assign a different SCSI ID, change the jumper
     settings as shown in Table 2.

     Wait Spin (WS) Jumper

     With the Wait/Spin (WS) jumper disabled, at power on or
     reset, the drive motor starts to spin automatically, and
     the drive prepares itself to perform read or write
     operations without the need for a start command. At a
     power on or reset, with the Wait/Spin jumper enabled,
     the host must send a START/STOP UNIT command to activate
     the drive motor for read or write operations. In
     addition, with the W/S jumper enabled, the drive
     performs power sequencing to prevent an overload of the
     host's power supply due to simultaneous, peak start-up
     current demands from multiple devices.

     At the factory, Quantum configures the ProDrive
     425/425iS hard disk drive with the Wait/Spin jumper
     disabled; that is, without a jumper installed across the
     pins labeled WS. To enable Wait/Spin, install a jumper
     across the pins labeled WS.

     Self Seek (SS) Jumper

     The Self Seek (SS) jumper is used to place the drive in
     a test mode at start up. This will inhibit the drive
     from normal operation and is for factory use only.

     At the factory, Quantum configures the ProDrive
     425/425iS hard disk drive with no jumper in place.

Fletch