Subject: Re: Status of SCSI SYS_INST?
To: Jason Thorpe , Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/09/1996 14:49:45
thorpej@nas.nasa.gov writes:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:47:11 -0700 (MST)
>  Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> wrote:
>
>  > Is there any status on the SCSI SYS_INST?
>
> First, lets clarify...
>
> There is no such thing as the "SCSI SYS_INST".  SYS_INST is a single
> program with both SCSI and HP-IB disk drivers.  It uses the same
> SCSI disk driver as the boot program, SYS_UBOOT.
[snippage]

Apologies for not thinking of this sooner, but it just occured to me that the
problems booting with SYS_INST may have been the same as I was experiencing
in July of last year (1995).

Try compiling SYS_INST with "-DSLOWSCSI" (yes, I'm aware that some of you
don't have your HP boxes booting yet, much less compiling.  See below.).
That's what let me get some of our 340's running from SCSI disks...  That
option apparently lets "slow drives" work with "fast machines" (for some
defn's of "slow" and "fast").

I've just whipped up a fresh copy of SYS_INST (from the 1.2 distribution) with
"-DSLOWSCSI", and will happily mail it to anyone who would like to try it...
(It's about 36K, gzipped and uuencoded)  (I don't guarantee nuthin' with it
though -- I havn't even tested it myself... It compiled, and that's it :-> )

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA