Subject: Re: dd miniroot
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Kevin Currie <kcurrie@on.bell.ca>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/09/1996 09:54:36
On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:07:17 -0500 (EST)
>  Kevin Currie <kcurrie@on.bell.ca> wrote:
>
>  > 	Is it possible to just dd the miniroot onto a SCSI disk and be
>  > done with it?  Or do I need to dd a SYS_INST first (or netboot it
>  > anyways).  I haven't had any luck with trying to do a network NFS
>  > install...
>
> Well, the problem is that you need to havea NetBSD-format disklabel
> on the disk, and the miniroot needs to be stashed in partition `b'.
> Also, if you use this method, you have to get a boot program onto the
> disk so that you can boot the miniroot.
>
> SYS_INST takes care of the disklabel, and loads the miniroot kernel
> itself.
>
> May I ask what sort of problems you were having?
	Well, I've got a netboot set up properly, no problems there.  When
I set the machine for NFS install it just seems to hang after arping and
finding the NFS machine... after I go into work in an hour or so if the
world hasn't stopped I'll try again and post some detailed reports.

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Bell SYGMA Telecom Solutions - Service Assurance-=-=-=-=-=-=+
|                     | HPUX / Solaris System Admin   |                      |
|  Kevin Currie       |	   kcurrie@on.bell.ca         |      Ottawa, Ontario |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-PGP Key:finger aa847@freenet.carleton.ca=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+