Subject: Re: dd miniroot
To: Kevin Currie <kcurrie@on.bell.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/08/1996 21:22:35
On Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:07:17 -0500 (EST)
 Kevin Currie <kcurrie@on.bell.ca> wrote:

 > 	Is it possible to just dd the miniroot onto a SCSI disk and be
 > done with it?  Or do I need to dd a SYS_INST first (or netboot it
 > anyways).  I haven't had any luck with trying to do a network NFS
 > install...

Well, the problem is that you need to havea NetBSD-format disklabel
on the disk, and the miniroot needs to be stashed in partition `b'.
Also, if you use this method, you have to get a boot program onto the
disk so that you can boot the miniroot.

SYS_INST takes care of the disklabel, and loads the miniroot kernel
itself.

May I ask what sort of problems you were having?