Subject: Re: QUANTUM PD425S support?? (hp300)
To: Reginald J. Reed <rjr@gomab.racal.com>
From: Richard Golding <golding@cello.hpl.hp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/06/1996 08:31:43
> > PS: The hp disktab says that the disk has/uses/supports? ZBR.
> >     Does anyone know this 'feature'?
>
> I believe ZBR is just a method of encoding information on the disk, like
> RLL and MFM.

ZBR is Zoned Bit Recording; it's a data layout policy, not a
recording/encoding mechanism.  The disk is divided up into different zones,
and outer zones have more sectors per track than inner zones.  According to my
cheat sheet:

#       start	end	sect/	cyl	track
#	cyl	cyl	track	skew	skew
$DiskMechanismDataArray(QuantumPD425S).setZones {
	{0	189	78	38	22}
	{190	379	73	36	21}
	{380	569	68	34	19}
	{570	759	64	31	19}
	{760	949	59	29	18}
	{950	1139	54	28	16}
	{1140	1329	49	25	15}
	{1330	1519	44	23	14}
};

In other words, the outer tracks have nearly twice as many sectors as the
inner ones.

-richard