Subject: Re: Installation via Network
To: Rainer Kopietz <rainer@hathor.free.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/04/1996 13:10:43
On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Rainer Kopietz wrote:

> Jason R. Thorpe wrote in comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc on the subject 'rbootd':
> > What version of FreeBSD are you using?  FreeBSD used to have a bug
> > in its BPF that caused rbootd to not function properly.
>
> Do you know which FreeBSD version has this bug in its BPF? I am using
> the 2.1 Release. If I start the rbootd in its debug-mode I get the
> bootrequests and the answers printed out but I don't get a menu of the
> possible boot devices.

I don't want to sound like I'm doubting Jason here, but I wasn't aware
that the FreeBSD BPF problem had been, in fact, fixed.  (I can't tell
whether it has from the CVS log for their sys/net/bpf.c, either.)

You might consider acquiring the NetBSD rbootd and using that, instead, as
it has a workaround for this problem.  The source is already packaged up
and in the NetBSD-1.2/hp300/install directory of the NetBSD ftp archive.

--scott