Subject: Re: Kernel Options
To: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/03/1996 11:53:13
On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:48:31 +0100 (MET)
 Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

 > What is the minimum set of otions to produce a runnig
 > diskless kernel. I attempted to comment out some
 > FILESYSTEMS, COMPAT, DDB settings and the EXEC_AOUT setting,
 > did the config.old and make depend but make failed then
 > because of missing functions.

Which functions were missing?  It's worth noting that you _HAVE_ to include
EXEC_AOUT, or else you can't run any programs; I should note that in
the config files.  (hp300 doesn't have std.hp300 because config.old
doesn't support the "include" directive; if someone wants to add support
for that, please get in touch with me).

 > So is there a list of REAL options and/or minimal options(e.g. no support
 > for local devices except le0,CPU,FPU,console(grafical),mouse and keyboard,
 > no debug, no monitoring, no traceing, no filesystems, settings in
 > kernel config files.

You may want to read the options(4) manual page.

 > So maybe someone could provide a CONFIG sample like DISKLESS-XCLIENT
 > or something like that.

...could do... I'll look into that soon.