Subject: EVRX support?
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/27/1996 15:12:38
There's this HP machine here, whose owner would like to run NetBSD on
it.  (HP appears to consider it worth only using as a boat anchor, he
says.)  I've managed to get SYS_INST onto it from the net and via SCSI
(dd if=SYS_INST of=/dev/rsd1c obs=512 conv=osync on NetBSD/sparc and
then move the disk).  However, no matter what I do, the screen goes
black and stays that way.  Is this simply a graphics board NetBSD
doesn't support?

When reset, the ROMs display

	Copyright 1991,
	Hewlett-Packard Company.
	All Rights Reserved.

	BOOTROM  Rev. 3.01  2 MAY 91
	MD11 REV 3.0 1991/03/25.17:03:08
	Bit Mapped Video
	MC68040 Processor
	Configuration EEPROM
	Utility Chip at 41
	HP-HIL.Keyboard
	DMA-C0
	RAM 16776874 Bytes
	Digital Audio at 8
	HP PARALLEL at 12
	HP98265 (SCSI S 32) at 14
	HP98643 (LAN) at 21, AUI, 080009178672
	EVRX at SGC slot 0 (Console)

and the system menu says

	:CONNER CP30200  SUN0207, 1400, 0
	   1Z SYS_SYS_I
	:LAN, 21, 0800201044EB Callisto
	   2Z SYS_INST

(the latter appearing only after I plug in the network cable).  It
matters not which one I pick; either one flashes the usual booting
message and then the screen goes black.

The monitor connector is a high-density DB-15; the monitor is a 98774A,
with a HDDB15-to-3BNC cable swiped from an (HP) X-terminal, with the
green connector connected to the monitor, red and blue connectors open.
I am disinclined to suspect the monitor cable because the ROMs can
display on the monitor just fine.

The CPU board does have two switches, one marked "GRAY" and one marked
"COLOR", next to one another.  They were set oppositely; I switched
them both and, as far as I can tell, nothing changed - not even the ROM
power-up messages.

Is this simply unsupported hardware, or have I done something stupid?
If the former, are there any plans to support it, anyone I should talk
to, any work-in-progress that might be useful?  Or any hints on how
hard or easy it might be to add support myself?

Any help much appreciated.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D