Subject: Re: 1.2 SYS_INST can't find my scsi disks
To: Mike Ferrara <mikef@rtfm.sr.hp.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/25/1996 10:40:06
On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:55:28 -0800 (PST)
 Mike Ferrara <mikef@rtfm.sr.hp.com> wrote:

 >    I just got my 345 up an back on the air after a crash (fan failure),
 > and decided now was the time to switch to NetBSD. It's got a C3725 2G
 > disk that at the moment has HP-UX on it, from which the machine boots
 > perfectly. The C3725S is my intended target for NetBSD. I tried a couple
 > of net boots via my HP-712 running HPUX10.2, and failed, so I dd'd
 > SYS_INST to an MO cartridge and booted the 345 from it. Disklabel, however,
 > complains that it can't find my C3725 (or the MO!) I'm confused. I'm using
 > the NetBSD-1.2 bits from ftp.netbsd.org

Hmmm ... ok, what are the SCSI targets of the disk and MO?  What is the
exact error message?

 > Am I missing something? The C3725 has a SCSI-I/SCSI-II jumper, but the
 > disk has worked fine for a year under HPUX as SCSI-II with this 345.
 > Maybe unknown to me HPUX was flipping it into SCSI-I? (there's a mode-page
 > entry for that)

That shouldn't cause any problems.  Sounds like SYS_INST is at fault.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I really don't have much of
a mechanism for testing SYS_INST on SCSI disks... my last spare SCSI
disk crapped out, and I'll have to scrounge up another one to plug into
my 340 before I can fix this... So, if anyone else finds the bug and
fixes it before I get a chance, cool :-)