Subject: Re: Installing on hp..
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Maydell <pm215@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/07/1996 20:46:21
der Mouse wrote:

> >> You should be able to network boot from any stock NetBSD 1.2 machine
> >> (in some cases even earlier).  a NetBSD/i386 machine should be fine.
> >> You _should_ be able to use other unix machines as well, but a
> >> NetBSD is liable to be easier.
>
> > Nice idea, but then again, systems like Linux don't support the BPF
> > and that is needed by the netboot-protocol of the HP300's.
>
> Well, BPF isn't needed; all that's needed is a system that can receive
> and respond to the protocol.  NetBSD rbootd, as written, needs BPF, but
> presumably it could be rewritten to run on top of SunOS /dev/nit or
> whatever Linux provides (surely Linux provides _some_ sort of access to
> raw Ethernet).

Yes; I'm currently working on porting rbootd to my Linux system...
Current state of progress is that it correctly receives the
Send Server ID packet from my HP 9000/340, and tries to send back
the response. *Something* gets sent, but the HP just repeats the Send
Server ID request. I conclude that something's wrong with my code for
writing packets to the ethernet... Unfortunately there is no
documentation
on how to do this under Linux :-(
I'll stick something up on my web site (http://mnementh.trin.cam.ac.uk/)
over the weekend with further details, in case anybody's interested...

Peter Maydell. Trinity College, Cambridge.