Subject: Re: diskless initialisation
To: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@inf.tu-dresden.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/05/1996 11:33:20
On Tue, 5 Nov 1996 02:57:38 +0100 (MET)
 Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

 > How do I set up a server in the right way to boot a diskless client?
 > I can allready load the kernel but then a RPC to the server hangs
 > with:   nfs_boot: client_addr=0x8d4c6333
 > 	nfs_boot: server_addr=0x8d4c0126  **** this is not the server
 > 						address I wanted to have
 > 						and I also did load
 > 						the kernel from a different
 > 						server(addr:0x8d4c6334)
 >         nfs_boot: hostname=  <here the kernel writes the name of my client>
 >         RPC timeout for server 0x84dc0126  **** which is clear because this
 > 						is not the server under my
 > 						hands
 >

 > I do start rbootd, rarpd, rpc.bootparamd, mountd, nfsd -t -u 4 and have
 > set up the files ehters, hosts, exports and bootparams.

That's a little odd ... can you post the contents of your server's
/etc/bootparams file?  Basically, the kernel uses the exact same
procedure as the SYS_NBOOT to find the root filesystem.

 > I'm not sure what has to be in the /export/myclient/root directory
 > but did the things mentioned in the man-page 'diskless'.

/export/myclient/root (or equivalent) should contain the complete
root filesystem for the client (/bin, /sbin, /etc, etc.)

 > The loading-process is also a little unstable and slow(HP-UX
 > boots its clusters with the same Hardware much faster), i.e.
 > the SYS_NBOOT procedure manages to get the IP-address and
 > the symbolic name everytime but has problems to find the
 > root file(sometimes it starts the loading only after the 3.
 > attempt to get it)

HP-UX uses a vastly different method to diskless boot.  NetBSD's
only uses HP RMP to load the boot program.  HP-UX uses HP RMP to do
the entire boot process.

It is possible that the standalone Lance driver could use a little
work.  Are you on a busy ethernet?