Subject: Re: Installing on hp..
To: None <david@mono.org>
From: Elmar Kolkman <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/05/1996 08:54:21
> Subject: Re: Installing on hp..
>
> 	You should be able to network boot from any stock NetBSD
> 	1.2 machine (in some cases even earlier). a NetBSD/i386 machine
> 	should be fine. You _should_ be able to use other unix machines
> 	as well, but a NetBSD is liable to be easier.

Nice idea, but then again, systems like Linux don't support the BPF and that
is needed by the netboot-protocol of the HP300's. And installing NetBSD/i386
can give some real problems too. (In my case it trashed my secondary HD, a
1.2 Gb WD. It's running again, but without NetBSD and I have to reinstall
Linux. They say to make a backup, which is surely needed, but what when you
don't have a real backup-device ? Backing 1.2 Gb on floppies isn't a real
option, I would think).

I think that the option as mentioned above is the best solution, although
using the Linux-system as NFS/FTP server should work well. It only doesn't
support rbootd.

> 		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

		Elmar

--