Subject: Installing on hp..
To: None <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA, port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nivoit_jea@lsi.supelec.fr>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/04/1996 16:44:31
Hi , this is the continuation of my (many?) problems.:

der Mouse answered my previous post to the list :

:> When I boot from tape, the 9144A is at select code 7, address0, and
:> the hard disk is at select code 14, address 2... when I blindly try
:> to enter the number after calculating it from the formula given in
:> the INSTALL file, it says 'Device not configured'... what am I doing
:> wrong ?

:This I haven't a clue with.  You may find it worth doing what I did,
:which was to install 1.0 from HP-UX and then do a binary upgrade to
:1.2.
What do you mean by 'install from HP-UX' ? Is this an installation from another
HP machine running HP-UX?

:> On the tape, I just copied the SYS_INST, as a first step, in order to
:> see whether I'd have the disklabel-ing done or not ... but I'd like
:> to know if I can install from NFS from my linux box holding the
:> NetBSD-1.2 distribution, after having booted from the tape...?

:I'd guess you can, though I have never tried it.  It looks to me as
:though it should work to install from any NFS or FTP server.
Well, NFS or FTP is the same thing, my main  problem still is the
disklabelling..

Anyway, I have to boot on tape, since I don't any other machine at hand that can
run the rbootd... Moreover , yesterday, I trashed my disk when issuing the 'dd
if=SYS_INST of=/dev/ct/3s0' ... looks like I did it on the wrong device, and I
have SYS_INST in the boot menu for my HP-UX boot disk, and it says 'system would
load too high'... so I can't boot anymore: I'll install HP-UX from tape this
evening (or at least try...), so that I can have access to the tape again, to
write SYS_INST again.

 As Terry Lambert suggested, the SYS_INST of NetBSD-1.2 might be unusable, so I
think my only chance is to try with 1.1, but I have to install HP-UX first in
order to be able to write it on the tape.

Another question : isn't there any machine that can run rbootd through the
network for me so that I can install without having to put HP-UX first? or is
the network boot working only on the ethernet in the same network ?

Would the network boot work on an i386 NetBSD machine ? as a last resort, I
could try it this way...

	thanks for all your help!

				jb.