Subject: Hi all
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nivoit_jea@lsi.supelec.fr>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/02/1996 23:25:34
Hi all

	I've just subscribed to his mailing-list, I thought it might be a good
idea, since I have an hp9000/300 I'd like to install NetBSD on. As you might
have guess, I have problems with the process of installing it on the machine!
Sorry for those I might bother...

	The machine runs HP-UX with no problems, and under HP-UX, I have no
problems accessing all the peripherals:

	- 2 9144A tape drives,
	- an 7962B box, which seems to have 2 disks, when I use SAM under HP-UX,
it says these are 2 7958B disks,
	- a 7958B disk, that's the one I want to install NetBSD on,
	-a 98751A screen, that model isn't in the list of supported ones for
NetBSD, but since I can run X under HP-UX on that one, I think it might work
anyway :-)
	- the processor is 68020, I think the box is a 350.It as 8Mb of memory.

I can't install from the network since I don't have any other machine I can run
the boot daemon on. But I manage easily to boot on tape and to enter SYS_INST.
My problem is with disklabel. I don't know anything about the partition naming
scheme , since I am more of a Linux/i386 person (sorry to say that :-)...
When I boot from tape, the 9144A is at select code 7, address0, and the hard
disk is at select code 14, address 2... when I blindly try to enter the number
after calculating it from the formula given in the INSTALL file, it says 'Device
not configured'... what am I doing wrong ?
On the tape, I just copied the SYS_INST, as a first step, in order to see
whether I'd have the disklabel-ing done or not ... but I'd like to know if I can
install from NFS from my linux box holding the NetBSD-1.2 distribution, after
having booted from the tape...?

This machine shall be used in the future as a secondary name server on my LAN,
and I'd like to run X11R6 on it, instead of the R4 shipped with Hp-UX 8 I
have...

	I thank everyone who'll answer me. I don't really know the customs of
the NetBSD community, but I hope this will not be taken as spam or whatever!

			jb.
			Jean-Baptiste Nivoit
			Supelec
			Gif-Sur-Yvette, France.