Subject: Re: How I got multi-headed X to work on my 370
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 10/15/1996 13:43:09
On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 07:57:53 -0600
 Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> wrote:

 > Anyway, Jason has physically stood in front of my machine and seen it himself
 > so he can attest that I'm not on drugs as has been suggested (HI DAVE!).
 > Neither of us has any idea what's wrong. It looks to me like some sort of
 > weird mapping problem but I have O(0) familiarity with the workings of X
 > so it could be almost anything...

Yah, I've actually seen it, and to be honest, I can't really explain it.

I was guessing that the GRFIOCMAP ioctl was getting the mapping wrong
(it basically `emulates' the call to mmap()), but you'll notice that
it nails down the address at 0x1000000 in the non-fixed case.
Really, the X server shouldn't need to say "map it here", it just
needs to say "map it" ... and the last I checked, it just just say
"map it".  My thought was that the process was mapping both
framebuffers non-fixed and getting them both at the same VA!
I'm almost wondering how it can work at all!  Of course, I may be
missing something (Mike? :-)

So, you'll noticed the bit of code in grfmap() that's got all of the
XXX's next to it... that should probably be re-written...