Subject: Re: Support of Domain Keyboard
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@fast.cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/24/1996 09:49:46
> To: Andrew Routley <andrew_r@cs.utas.edu.au>
> Subject: Re: Support of Domain Keyboard
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 00:49:25 -0700
>
> I _think_ the keyboard is 1200-8N1 serial .. I don't know the exact
> pinout... Herb?  (Is this a FAQ now? :-)
>
> As far as gluing it into the kernel... that's a whole other problem...
>
> Making it work with the ITE would mean finding all of the assumptions
> of HIL in the console code, and chaning the interface to deal with both
> types... also, the console probe code would have to determine what sort
> of keyboard was there... This means a good bit of code restructuring.

We had to make a quick hack to do this when we started supporting the hp700
PC-style (``geckko'') keyboard.  Check out the Utah Mach code:

    http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flux/mach4-parisc/html/snapshot2.html

in particular the kernel/hpdev directory of:

    ftp://flux.cs.utah.edu/flux/ALPHA/pa-snapshot2.tar.gz

I'm not suggesting that you use this code, but at least it identifies the
HIL-isms in the code.