Subject: help with booting
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bart@innoconn.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/20/1996 01:33:35
Hello, as you may remember, I am trying to get my hp340 to boot off a
scsi disk, prepared by the install program.  It was suggested that the
disk does not have a disklabel and boot sectors on it.  This, while
unlikely, seems plausible (the install program installs bootblocks,
doesnt it?  maybe space needs to be left at the start of the disk that
I didnt leave?)

Anyway, I am trying to netboot the beast to check it all out, have the
whole thing set up, i believe correctly, but I get an error (surprise
surprise, another error, seems I never get a way from them..)

here it is

>> NetBSD NETWORK BOOT HP9000/340 CPU
>> $NetBSD: netboot.c,v 1.10 1995/10/04 07:24:32 thorpej Exp $
>> Enter "reset" to reset system.
Boot: [netbsd][-s][-a][-d] :- -s
boot: client IP address: 128.136.18.134
boot: client name: val.the.org
root addr=128.136.18.132 path=/usr/export/val/root
le(0,0,0,0): Unknown error: code -1
boot: Unknown error: code -1
Boot: [onetbsd][-s][-a][-d] :-
boot: client IP address: 128.136.18.134
boot: client name: val.the.org
root addr=128.136.18.132 path=/usr/export/val/root
le(0,0,0,0): Unknown error: code -1
boot: Unknown error: code -1

Any ideas? Could it be that the root directory (/usr/export/val/root)
is not configured correctly.  Its a link, could that matter?  Its
contents are base11.tar.gz and etc11.tar.gz fully decompressed, and
the kernel from the install directory.  Is there more needed?

Thanks for any help,

Bart Niswonger