Subject: Re: install problems on potential 433t
To: Klaus Klein <kleink@uni-trier.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/20/1996 15:16:42
On Fri, 20 Sep 1996 20:52:59 +0200
 Klaus Klein <kleink@uni-trier.de> wrote:

[ BOOTROM self-test output... ]

 > The machine was configured for Domain/OS (still on it :) ); besides the
 > need for a HIL Keyboard, will NetBSD run on it ?

Yes, it should.

 > <<< 20:30:50.739893   Addr: 08:00:09:13:db:e1   Intf: le0
 >         802.2 LLC: DSAP:f8 SSAP:f8 CTRL:3
 >         HP Ext:    DXSAP:806 SXSAP:906
 >         Boot Request: (Send Server ID)
 >                 RetCode:0 SeqNo:0 SessID:ffff Vers:512
 >                 Machine Type: HPS300
 >                 File Name (0): <>
 >
 > every time the HP sends a packet. As of my interpretation of SessID and
 > SeqNo,
 > it is querying the server for its host name, but nothing else happens.
 > After that, the server identifies itself via a boot reply, but the HP seems
 > to ignore it and just sends the above message - the menu mentioned in the
 > INSTALL docs does not appear.

What version of NetBSD is running on your SPARC system?  Hmm, it could
be a structure packing difference on the SPARC, which would lead to
problems with rbootd.

 > Sorry, if these questions occur to be quite basic ones, but the only
 > documentation that came w/ the beast was about Domain/OS; so, any hints
 > will be greatly appreciated.

No, no sweat...

To debug this, you may have to hack on rbootd a little.. basically, it
would be useful to know if the packet that actually goes out onto the
wire is in the proper format... to do that, you'll have to capture the
packet somehow, and then examine it later on a system other than the
SPARC (an i386 or m68k would be fine).

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --