Subject: Just the FAQ's ma'am....
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Fletcher Christian <Fletch2@ibm.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/20/1996 23:49:20
Ok so I volenteered to do the FAQ's :-}

Now the only question is what we put in it. I'll leave the NetBSD FAQ
until I've had chance to talk it through with Jason as he seems to have
an idea what he wants.

For the Hardware FAQ I was thinking of doing something like the
SUN Hardware FAQ. Now in the case of SUN's it seems to be fairly
easy, a SUN 3/150 is a VME SUN machine with a certain collection of
processor card, free slots and basic support cards. From what I can see
the HP's are somewhat different in that they appear to be a collection
of cards the machine name having more to do with it's processor card
than it's configuration.

Below are a series of questions about system's and cards.

Please fill in one of these forms for each machine you have:-

MODEL:

CHASSIS DETAILS.
================

Please give details of the number of slots of each type in your Chassis.

DIO-I Slots (Short edge connection cards)    ==
DIO-II Cards (Multipin connectors)               ==

Memory
=======

How much memory does your system have?  ==

Is this local memory (on processor board or daughter card)
or is in on a card blugged into the Bus).

IO Card
=======

Does your machine have an IO card seperate from the processor card
or is it integrated.

What facilities does this board provide (serial, parallel, SCSI, HPIB,
Network etc)

Does the card have a daughterboard for fast HPIB or SCSI?

Other cards
=========

Could you list all the other cards in your system (with model numbers).

ROM Monitor
===========

What is the key sequence to do the following on your machine
ROM Monitor.

Select Boot
Switch to HPUX mode (if applic)
Switch to Domain mode (if applic)
Switch to maintainence mode.

IS your ROM capable of Net booting.

We also need the following on a card by card basis. This is likely to be
time consuming but should be worth it. I've included some cards from
my system as an example (and get the ball rolling).

Card Description:

Part Number:
Position of Part Number on Card:
Bus Type (DIO-I or II):
Jumpers or switches present:
Function of switches if known:
Internal/external connectors:
Pin out of Connectors if known):
Card Description: Single RS232 Serial Card.

Part Number: 98644A
Position of Part Number on Card: On card mounting frame and silk
                                                        screened next to HP logo.
Bus Type (DIO-I or II):                 DIO-I
Jumpers or switches present:         SW1    10 Position DIP switch
Function of switches if known:       Unclear

Internal/external connectors:         1 External 25 Way D type (FEM).
Pin out of Connectors if known):    Assume standard RS232C

Card Description: 4 Port Async MUX

Part Number: 98642A
Position of Part Number on Card: On back of mounting plate
Bus Type (DIO-I or II):    DIO-I
Jumpers or switches present:  SW1  4 Way DIP
                                                SW2   8 Way DIP
Function of switches if known:  N/A
Internal/external connectors:   1 25 Way  Female D type marked
                                                                    "Modem"
                                                  3 RJ45(?) One marked Console
Pin out of Connectors if known):  N/A
Card Description: 1 Meg Memory Board

Part Number:98257
Position of Part Number on Card:    Above HP logo
Bus Type (DIO-I or II):                    DIO-I
Jumpers or switches present:            S1 4 position DIP switch
Function of switches if known:         Address selection?
Internal/external connectors:     N/A
Pin out of Connectors if known): N/A
Card Description: System Interface

Part Number:98562
Position of Part Number on Card: On sticker below HP logo
Bus Type (DIO-I or II):    DIO-II
Jumpers or switches present:   8 position DIP marked "LAN"
                                                  4 position                      "HPIB/RS232"
                                                  9 position                      "Option Card"
Function of switches if known:
                                                 LAN
                                                      1-4  Select Code (?)
                                                         5   M (?)
                                                         6   INT
                                                         7   Level
                                                         8   REM

                                                 HPIB/RS232
                                                         1 MEN (?)
                                                         2 REM  (determines if serial port is
                                                                         to be used as Console)
                                                         3 DIS (?)
                                                         4 SC (?)

                                                   Option  Card
                                                      1-4  Select (?)
                                                          5  M (?)
                                                          6  INT
                                                          7  LEV
                                                          8  SC
                                                          9  LOW
Internal/external connectors:   EXT       LAN (BNC)
                                                                 RS232 (9 pin Female Dtype )
                                                                 Speaker (RCA)
                                                                 HIB Connector
                                                                 HPIB connector

                                                    INT      96 pin option card connector

Pin out of Connectors if known): N/A

You get the idea. Any other details like pinouts, connector and jumper
definitions appreciated.

Fletch