Subject: install problems on potential 433t
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@uni-trier.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/20/1996 20:52:59
I just got hold of a beast which seems to be a 433t (according to some
other output):

BOOTROM  Rev.  2.0  29 NOV 90
MD11 REV 1.95 1990/12/12.14:35:26
MC68040 Processor
Configuration EEPROM
Utility Chip at 41
HP-HIL
 Type R RETURN for internal RS-232 console
DMA-C0
RAM 16776900 Bytes
HP98644 (RS-232) at 9
HP PARALLEL at 12
HP98265 (SCSI S 32) at 14
HP98643 (LAN) at 21, THIN, 08000913DBE1
Bit Mapped Video at 133 (Console)

The machine was configured for Domain/OS (still on it :) ); besides the
need for a HIL Keyboard, will NetBSD run on it ?

Another point, after selecting HP-UX Compatible boot mode in the
configuration control menu, which other changes are necessary to load
SYS_INST via network ? The rbootd I'm running on my NetBSD/sparc box
just prints out

<<< 20:30:50.739893   Addr: 08:00:09:13:db:e1   Intf: le0
        802.2 LLC: DSAP:f8 SSAP:f8 CTRL:3
        HP Ext:    DXSAP:806 SXSAP:906
        Boot Request: (Send Server ID)
                RetCode:0 SeqNo:0 SessID:ffff Vers:512
                Machine Type: HPS300
                File Name (0): <>

every time the HP sends a packet. As of my interpretation of SessID and SeqNo,
it is querying the server for its host name, but nothing else happens.
After that, the server identifies itself via a boot reply, but the HP seems
to ignore it and just sends the above message - the menu mentioned in the
INSTALL docs does not appear.

Sorry, if these questions occur to be quite basic ones, but the only
documentation that came w/ the beast was about Domain/OS; so, any hints
will be greatly appreciated.

-kjk
--
               Klaus Klein   __/__/   University of Trier, Germany
      kleink@uni-trier.de   __/__/   Computing Center