Subject: Better install method???
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Fletcher Christian <Fletch2@ibm.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/04/1996 22:26:24

I asked a few questions a couple of weeks back about installing the
software via a PC, thanks for all the help it's been quite informative.

I have a few more questions but I'll leave those for another message, I
was wondering if any work had been done on allowing software installs
via methods other than the network. Apparently you can make a boot
tape but cann't actually load the system miniroot from tape. As a
consequence you have to load via the network. In practice this means
that you must be the proud owner of another Unix system before you
can install the software.

What if you haven't got one?? What if you have a Mac or WinPC what
then. Worse, what if I had a servicable HP with no ethernet or with
boot PROMs earlier than version 3??

The installation notes for 1.1 mention that this would be improved in
the future, but I've just looked at the 1.2 Beta and it says the same
thing. I would have thought that giving a variety of installation methods
would have been a priority fix since it stops otherwise viable systems
from being used.

So whats the story??

Fletch