Subject: Re: Problem 1: Backdoor into HPUX
To: Fletcher Christian <Fletch2@ibm.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/27/1996 20:07:38
On Sat, 17 Aug 1996 17:54:51 EST
 Fletcher Christian <Fletch2@ibm.net> wrote:

 > All are from the same place, the X term needs a driver program that I
 > believe is on one of the HD's. Before I scrap HPUX I'd like to retrieve
 > this driver as getting it from HP has proved difficult.

Dang .. HP used to have a _lot_ of HP X terminal software available for
FTP on hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com (a.k.a. dizzy.cv.hp.com), but I just checked
there, and they seem to have drastically changed the nature of that
server :-/  (real drag ... it used to be quite useful...)

 > So basically I was wondering if there was any way to get into the HPUX
 > system. The thing boots up fine but I don't know the password. I've
 > tried the rather unusual step of attempting to binary edit the ESDI
 > drive on a PC, but it would appear that the Micropolis drives and my
 > Adaptec controller don't get on.
 >
 > Any suggestions other than trying a demon dialer style program?

Unforunately, HP, in their infinite wisdom, didn't provide a "boot into
single-user mode" option (of course, the system v notion of runlevels
that HP-UX used makes single-user somewhat ill-defined...)  I'm not sure
of a way to get it to boot up into single-user short of making the fsck
fail... You might try sending a SIGQUIT or SIGINTR to fsck (or some other
important utility) during the boot process...

Other than that, it's been a _long_ time since I've really used HP-UX (I
was quite happy when the University pretty much dumped it for
NetBSD/hp300 :-), so I'm not sure I have any more suggestions...

Good luck!

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --