Subject: Problem 1: Backdoor into HPUX
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Fletcher Christian <Fletch2@ibm.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/17/1996 17:54:51

Hi guy's,
         Been lurking for the last couple on months while I actually
got a HP300.

Ok. I have a HP360, 2x7959 units (working), 1x7959 with a working drive
but electronics problems (verified by swapping drives), a tape unit and
an X terminal.

All are from the same place, the X term needs a driver program that I
believe is on one of the HD's. Before I scrap HPUX I'd like to retrieve
this driver as getting it from HP has proved difficult.

So basically I was wondering if there was any way to get into the HPUX
system. The thing boots up fine but I don't know the password. I've
tried the rather unusual step of attempting to binary edit the ESDI
drive on a PC, but it would appear that the Micropolis drives and my
Adaptec controller don't get on.

Any suggestions other than trying a demon dialer style program?

Fletch