Subject: Re: Tricks for kernel build?
To: Jay D. Allen <jay@fork.rain.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/22/1996 23:27:05
On Sun, 21 Jul 1996 12:50:45 -0700
 "Jay D. Allen" <jay@fork.rain.com> wrote:

 > I only just recently had a reason to rebuild a kernel on
 > one of my HP433/NetBSD1.1 machines.  I got the NetBSD-1.1
 > "ksrc11" files, and installed them.  I copy a kernel
 > config file "cp GENERIC JAYSGENERIC", and try to just build
 > that, but I get:
 >
 >    zinc# config JAYSGENERIC
 > JAYSGENERIC:5: cannot open files.hp300 for reading: No such file or directory
 >
 > What's the diff between config and config.old?  It does work
 > with config.old...

config.old is the old-style config program.  It's a completely different
configuration model than new config...

I've been slowly re-writing bits and pieces of the hp300 port so that it
can use new config.  Slow going, at times.  In a private devel tree, the
framebuffer drivers, serial drivers, and LANCE driver are all converted
to new config.  I can boot multi-user diskless.  Now, time to re-write
the dma, hp-ib, and scsi drivers.

Anyhow, you just basically need to use config.old...

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --