Subject: Re: VRX graphics device
To: None <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@fast.cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/16/1996 09:57:01
> To: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
> Subject: Re: VRX graphics device
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 07:46:11 -0700
>
> On Tue, 16 Jul 1996 12:52:44 +0200 (MET DST)
>  Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>
>  > Hi there...
>  > I recently had to install NetBSD on a apollo 400, but NetBSD doesn't seem
>  > to find a graphics board, the installed is a TurboVRX, the HP-number is
>  > HP98702. has anyone got this working ?
>
> This is a board on the SGC bus, correct?  What exact model?  425e?
> (Dang, I always forget which was the quirky 400 system...)
>
> Anyhow, there's currently no code to handle the SGC bus and no driver for
> that framebuffer.  One might be able to glean enough out of the Utah
> PA-RISC Mach sources to write a BSD driver for that card, and possibly
> cope with the SGC bus... (Mike?)

We got out of the HP 68k biz before th 98702 so I don't know a lot about
it.  Hmm...but come to think of it, it may have been a 98702 that came on
our first snake machine.  If that is the case, then at least some of the
support you need is in our Mach release.  We only used that interface in
"ITE mode" and replaced it before we started trying to map the framebuffer.

However, it supports STI (Standard Text Interface) and in theory should just
work with our Mach driver (including framebuffer mapping).  This of course
assumes that you can figure out how to load the STI code out of the ROM...

Assuming you get that all to work, you will have to run the HP-UX X server
since the one that Mark D. did doesn't support newer displays.  This shouldn't
be a big problem if you have HP-UX around somewhere.  We use the HP-UX X
server on our 4.3bsd/4.4bsd hp300s and the NetBSD HP-UX compat code is
pretty much the same.

For the Utah PA Mach release see:

http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flux/mach4-parisc/html/snapshot2.html

or go straight to the source at:

ftp://flux.cs.utah.edu/flux/ALPHA/pa-snapshot2.tar.gz

The stuff you need is in the tree at

	mach4-parisc/kernel/hpsgc/*sti*

I believe.