Subject: Re: Someone willing to mirror R6 and Mosaic binaries?
To: Andrew Carey <careya@peak.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/30/1996 17:45:30
On Thu, 30 May 1996 17:05:20 -0700
 Andrew Carey <careya@peak.org> wrote:

 > I've put up some hp300 binaries for ftp, however they will be
 > disappearing after tomorrow. Would someone out there mind puting
 > them up somewhere else?

I'm downloading them now, and will put them on ftp.NetBSD.ORG tomorrow.

<nostalgia>

BTW, in case some folks don't know, the PEAK/CSOS hp300 stuff is going
away is because Oregon State University is shutting down the
University-supported Public Electronic Access to Knowledge.  There are
several (lots, oh, lots) hp300s running NetBSD at PEAK/CSOS ... or,
rather, there were.  When I was a volunteer there almost 3 years ago, we
(PEAK) had one of the first NetBSD/hp300 systems (I think it was Charles
Hannum, John Brezak, Herb Peyerl, and Jason Downs and I).

Anyhow, Downs and I bootstrapped NetBSD from a system running Utah's
HP-BSD on a 320 with 7.5MB of RAM (jacobs.csos.orst.edu).  This was
before shared libs worked, disklabels didn't work right on the hp300 (esp
HP-IB, which was all we had at the time), etc.

The 1.0 release of NetBSD/hp300 was built on a PEAK/CSOS system.

Anyhow, I'm kind of sad to see it go away, and I wish lots of luck to
John Sechrest's _new_ commercial PEAK venture!  Score some hp300s from
somewhere, John!

</nostalgia>

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----