Subject: Re: binary X distribution for NetBSD/hp300 wanted
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/14/1996 15:41:49
> > i was gonna cheat though, and model the kit after the Xkernel i'm using
> > from columbia.edu that bases itself on sunos.
> >
> > i have several 3/60's here which boot entirely off the network without need
> > of swap.  it is amazing how far you can push a 3/50 or 3/60 with 4 meg of
> > RAM.
>
> SunOS had a special "no swap" device that reported itself size 0, etc.
> It was basically a sink-hole.

i figure worst case scenario, you set up an NFS mounted swap file.
kinda icky, but if you really need swap that bad, maybe you should consider
running full X one a full platform.

> I've often thought that the Columbia Xkernel package should ditch
> SunOS and replce it with NetBSD and X11R6 ... Provide the same
> functionality, but using free code.  Sounds like that's what you're going
> to do with NetBSD/hp300 :-)  Let me know when your package is ready, and
> if you plan on making it public...I'd be happy to provide some space in
> the hp300 area of the NetBSD ftp server, and provide a link on the hp300
> NetBSD WWW pages.

i beleive that someone has already done that for NetBSD/sun3 and NetBSD/i386.

if/when i get it done, you are welcome to put it up there.

> "Old hp300s never die, they just get an OS upgrade."

as i gaze around my apartment, old sun's, old 3b2's, old 3b1's, old hp's,
old RT's, old 386's, old XT's.

it is amazing how much CPU and disk you can accumulate when you live in a
warehouse, and have electricity included in your rent.

mind you, i spun down the old Fujitsu eagles, it was kinda neat to have the
biggest harddrives in town, but five of them certainly isn't cool.

--
 - Jim Mercer  Reptilian Research  merce@iguana.reptiles.org +1 416 410-5633 -
 If you're going to survive in this business, you've got to stop being so hard