Subject: Re: binary X distribution for NetBSD/hp300 wanted
To: Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/14/1996 12:25:59
On Tue, 14 May 1996 15:29:14 -0400 (EDT)
 jim@reptiles.org (Jim Mercer) wrote:

 > i was gonna cheat though, and model the kit after the Xkernel i'm using
 > from columbia.edu that bases itself on sunos.
 >
 > i have several 3/60's here which boot entirely off the network without need
 > of swap.  it is amazing how far you can push a 3/50 or 3/60 with 4 meg of RAM.

SunOS had a special "no swap" device that reported itself size 0, etc.
It was basically a sink-hole.

I've often thought that the Columbia Xkernel package should ditch
SunOS and replce it with NetBSD and X11R6 ... Provide the same
functionality, but using free code.  Sounds like that's what you're going
to do with NetBSD/hp300 :-)  Let me know when your package is ready, and
if you plan on making it public...I'd be happy to provide some space in
the hp300 area of the NetBSD ftp server, and provide a link on the hp300
NetBSD WWW pages.

"Old hp300s never die, they just get an OS upgrade."

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----