Subject: Re: binary X distribution for NetBSD/hp300 wanted
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/14/1996 15:29:14
> > has anyone put together a netboot Xkernel configuration?
> > if not, that's what i'm planning on doing, except it'll probably take
> > several
> > days to do the X compile.  8^(
>
> Well, NetBSD/hp300 does understand netboot, and I can see value in having
> a pre-packaged hp300 "Xkernel" package (though, really, it won't be an X
> kernel, but rather just a special init(8) (shell script), and make the
> swapfile 0 bytes (or, if you're low on memory, go ahead and provide some
> swap space...)

actually, i was thinking something very similar.

i was gonna cheat though, and model the kit after the Xkernel i'm using
from columbia.edu that bases itself on sunos.

i have several 3/60's here which boot entirely off the network without need
of swap.  it is amazing how far you can push a 3/50 or 3/60 with 4 meg of RAM.

--
[ Jim Mercer   Reptilian Research  merce@iguana.reptiles.org  +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ "Therefore, Your Honour, my client was entirely justified in battering the  ]