Subject: Re: HP Apollo 400 boot problems...
To: Kyle A.D. Mestery <mestery@cobber.cord.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/30/1996 15:49:37
On Tue, 30 Apr 1996 16:07:51 -0500 (CDT)
 "Kyle A.D. Mestery" <mestery@cobber.cord.edu> wrote:

 > Hi all! We here at Concordia College are having problems booting two HP
 > Apollo 400 diskless workstations. We want to boot both of them from a
 > 486/66 running FreeBSD with rbootd as the boot daemon. Here is a list of
 > the things we have done:
 >
 > 	1) The Apollos are using the 10base2 connectors.
 > 	2) The machine we are trying to boot them from, Homer, has 8 bpf's
 > 	and also has rbootd, and it runs fine, no errors.
 > 	3) The machines are onthe same subnet.
 > 	4) The Apollos are using teh HP-UX boot mode.

The FreeBSD bpf code has a bug in it, which is worked around in the
NetBSD rbootd (in case someone wants to compile it on a FreeBSD system).
In rmpproto.c:SendPacket():

int
SendPacket(rconn)
        register RMPCONN *rconn;
{
        /*
         *  Set Ethernet Destination address to Source (BPF and the enet
         *  driver will take care of getting our source address set).
         */
        bcopy((char *)&rconn->rmp.hp_hdr.saddr[0],
              (char *)&rconn->rmp.hp_hdr.daddr[0], RMP_ADDRLEN);
#ifdef __FreeBSD__
        /* BPF (incorrectly) wants this in host order. */
        rconn->rmp.hp_hdr.len = rconn->rmplen - sizeof(struct hp_hdr);
#else
        rconn->rmp.hp_hdr.len = htons(rconn->rmplen - sizeof(struct hp_hdr));
#endif
	[ . . . ]

Make sure that's what you have.

 > I am not sure about the Apollos even sending packest out. tcpdump shows
 > nothing coming from them at all. They boot through their messages, and
 > then tehy get to a point where all they say is searching for system, or
 > preferred selection failed, depending on what config their boot-roms
 > have. If I tell them to search for a system, they give me the searching
 > error message, if I tell them to use selected system, they say preferred
 > selection failed. Frustrating! I am wondering if maybe I forgot about
 > another jumper to pull, or some software config that I have wrong? Any
 > help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure tcpdump will spit out rbootd packets.  Try running rbootd in
debug mode (-d flag).

Let me know what that turns up (please make sure you post it to the list :-)

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----