Subject: Re: SYS_INST Program.
To: None <jth@spl2.c3sys.army.mil>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/15/1996 17:27:59
On Mon, 15 Apr 96 15:29:37 EDT
 jth@spl2.c3sys.army.mil wrote:

 >    I have been unable to get SYS_INST to boot.
 >
 >    I have Rev C ROMs, 9144 tape drives, SCSI and HP-IB disks
 >    and 370 machines with 16 MB of RAM.
 >
 >    SYS_INST.gz is 26489 bytes,
 >
 >    No matter where I put SYS_INST the system loader doesn't see it.

Where have you tried to put it?  I'm not really sure how HP-UX installs
boot blocks on disk.  You should be able to gunzip it and dd it to the
very beginning of a tape...  It is not intended to reside in the filesystem.

 >    Is it a boot program ?,  Do I have to boot over the network ?

Yes, it is a boot program; that is, it is loaded by the ROM like a boot
program, and loads the kernel from the miniroot when it's done.

I was only able to test netbooting SYS_INST when I wrote it, though I'm
told that you can load it off of tape.