Subject: Re: Anyone with a 320?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/31/1996 14:13:30
On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>  > Yes... or actually no, I have a 320 and plan to put NetBSD on it as soon
>  > as a driver for the german HIL-keyboard is available.
>
> The HIL driver will work with the German keyboard ... all that's missing
> is a keymap.  Unfortunately, someone that actually has a German keyboard
> is going to have to make the keymap ... it's basically impossible to do
> without a keyboard.

I'll do that next time, but.... some weeks ago you've asked for someone
who is running NetBSD on a 320 - I've done it. My config:
68020/68881/HP-MMU at 16.67MHz, 5MB RAM, 16-Bit-DMA, Fast HP-IB,
monocrome topcat-display.
The generic kernel doesn't run on it, it panics while probing the
HP-IB-devices saying something like 'device not configured' or so, but my
home-brewn Kernel runs... with CPU320 only enabled, any SCSI-support
disabled.
The problem: it's terribly slow. Doesn't boot properly from the
Fast-HP-IB. Loads not faster than via the built-in one and panics after a
while. My harddisk is a 7958B ( maybe the number is wrong, can't look at
it now because I am 40 km away from it :-( ) that's a 120MB disk
supporting fast HP-IB ( tried it with HP-BASIC 5.1 , loads *very* fast
but the BASIC itself seems not to know about the controller... may be
the controller's config is wrong, could anyone tell me something about it ?
The controller is labeled 'Disk interface' and a DMA-Controller is here...
No idea about the meaning of the DIP-switches on the controller-board, no
switches on the DMA-Board. )
Anyway, NetBSD runs fine but slow, that may change when the fast HP-IB
can be used.

That was it. In the next days I will get a Ethernet-Board... can I boot a
320 via a network ? It has a Rev. A Boot ROM .

thanks in advance...
Michael