Subject: Re: HP 9000/300 Drives
To: Charles Lepple <clepple@thor.tjhsst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/21/1996 14:56:50
[ I put port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG on the CC: list, since someone there might
  have more information on this than me...  --thorpej ]

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 16:28:38 EST
 Charles Lepple <clepple@thor.tjhsst.edu> wrote:

 > Just a question: We have a bunch of HP9K/300s (currently running
 > HP/UX) that we are planning to convert to NetBSD. However, out
 > of three hard drives, only two work, and only one of the two working
 > ones completely boots. My question concerns the non-working drive
 > (a 7963B unit capable of holding three drives).
 > We have an overabundance of ESDI drives which look suspiciously
 > similar to the ones used in the 7963B, and I would like to know
 > whether the ESDI drives would work in the HP box, or whether the HP
 > unit uses MFM or RLL drives.
 > Thanks in advance.
 > --Charles Lepple
 > Co-System Administrator,
 > Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
 > clepple@tjhsst.edu
 > http://www.tjhsst.edu/~clepple/

I *think* the drives themselves are actually MFM, though someone should
correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'm not really sure if HP frobbed the firmware in them at all, but I'm
pretty sure that you have to replace it with a drive with identical
geometry....

Any HP-IB gurus with more info?