Subject: Re: HP/Apollo Question
To: None <hpeyerl@beer.org, tmac@home.glasscity.net>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@fast.cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/23/1996 09:18:27
> To: tmac@home.glasscity.net (Thomas A. McLeary)
> Cc: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: HP/Apollo Question
> From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
>
> tmac@home.glasscity.net (Thomas A. McLeary)  wrote:
>  > asked how to tell). This one is definitely not a desktop. It's a
>  > pseudo-tower.
>  >
>  > As a matter of fact, the styling of the tower is pretty cool! :-)
>
> That would be an 'S'.  It looks like a little square computer and a
> tall skinny computer had a minor 'incident' and are now genetically
> spliced together?
>
> That's what LAGER is.

Yes, I always found it symbolic of the HP/Apollo merger (the 400s were the
first "joint" machine): the short squat HP with the horizontal groves and
the tall skinny Apollo rammed together at high speed.

So what you have is either a 400s (50MHz 68030), a 425s (25MHz 68040) or
a 433s (33MHz 68040).  There was originally only supposed to be the 433s.
Then the 040 was late, so they came out with the 400s to be upgraded later
to a 433s.  Then the 33Mhz version of the 040 was late so they offered the
425s upgrade.  We held out and got a couple of the 33MHz upgrades some two
years after we got the machines.