Subject: Re: Keyboard failure on miniroot 1.1 (fwd)
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/25/1996 13:04:42
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 96 21:58:26 CST
From: Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu>
To: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject: Re: Keyboard failure on miniroot 1.1

> Hi there...
>
> finally I got the 1.1 miniroot on my harddisk, it booted ... asked me for
> a shell, i pressed enter, but what appeared on my screen was a string
> like this: <H^@^@^@J\> or similar, no key seemed to function properly...
> I took another Keyboard - the same. SYS_INST worked fine, my keyboard is
> an ordinary HIL-thing, came with the workstation...
> What the f*** is the fault ??? I've no idea about it...
>
> My config: hp9000/345, 16MB RAM, SCSI, Rodime RO3000T disc, 9122C dual
> floppy, 7958B HP-IB harddisk, HIL keyboard and mouse and so on...
>
> Michael

I have a similar problem with my hp9000/340.  When I boot the SYS_INST
file from my I386 box, I cannot use the keyboard at all.  No
characters, nothing.  I wonder if I have the correct keyboard, but of
course I have no way of telling, and the lights flash at start-up, and
the cables all fit well.  It appears to be just an ordinary HIL
keyboard, but I have no mouse.

Any pointers would be _much_ appreciated, I am getting tired of having
a nice big monitor, but no way to get it going.

Thanks in advance

Bart Niswonger

ps to Jason Thorpe: I am still wanting to work on the R6 Xserver, but
I cannot get over this hump.  Without a machine, I fear not much can
be done :(

   Bartholomew Niswonger
   bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu               Voice:..........312.955.2746

   CS Student...............University of Chicago
   Programmer...............Biological Sciences Division/Academic Computing
   Projects.................CGI/HTML & Databases
   OS of choice.............NetBSD {Amiga, hp300, i386}