Subject: Re: How to get NetBSD on my machine ?
To: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Ross Sponholtz <rosss@interaccess.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/19/1996 15:37:28
On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, Zadok wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jan 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> Hi there...
>
> >  > My Problem: I have a hp345, 16MB RAM and so on, running fine... the
> >  > problem is: It runs HP-Pascal. But there seem some parts missing... I
> >  > have a Linux-Box standing next door, but i can't rbootd get compiled, may
> >  > be it uses some HP-UX or BSD-specific ??? I really have to do better
> >  > things than inventing the bicycle the 12456th time... has anyone here got
> >  > it running under Linux ( for PCs ) and could send me the binaries ?
> >
> > What are the problems you're having with rbootd?  It does use the
> > Berkeley Packet Filter.
>
> yup... there is a file called bpf.c which #includes net/bpf.h, that's
> missing... Linux seems not to know this packet filter. Is there a version
> of rbootd that doesn't depend on it ? May be one for a system V ? The
> Linux-libc is much like system V...
> Anyway, I've found another possibility, my Acorn Archimedes was able to
> read and write disks with 16 sectors / 256 bytes, with a different
> filesystem, but he knows at least the disk geometry, so i simply raw wrote
> SYS_INST on a HP-disk and it boots...
>
> Michael

I have done a little work to get rbootd to work under Linux, but not
much.  I did find another packet-filtering program that uses an
implementation of bpf on Linux.  It is all munged up in a library,
though.  I do hope to get this working sometime. I would much rather have
my 345 boot off the net, rather than my noisy hard disk.

Ross