Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD
To: Chee-Tuck Lim <ctlim@iastate.edu>
From: Andrew Carey <careya@peak.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/19/1996 01:33:41
Chee-Tuck Lim <ctlim@iastate.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just a few HP keyboards for my HP Apollo 400 Series which is
> currently running Domain/OS.  I wonder if there is any documentation on
> installing NetBSD on this mechine (particularly switching from Domain to
> NetBSD).

You'll need a HIL keyboard first as the Domain keyboards currently don't
work.  Someone was (still is?) selling the newer style keyboards for
$50 a piece. Someone else out there still have the address?

I think Herb posted the steps needed switch from Domain boot mode to
HPUX boot mode a while ago. If so, it should be located in the mail
archive somewhere on ftp.netbsd.org. After that, the easiest method is
probably to take a stab at netbooting the suckers.

> Also, is there a X server for NetBSD/hp300?  I thought Xfree86 is just for
> the Intel-s... if there is one available, what kind of video is supported?

X11R5 for the hp300 is available from ftp.netbsd.org in
/pub/NetBSD/packages/binaries/NetBSD-1.0/hp300

It should work fine, unless you have one of the high end frame buffers. A
complete list of supported hardware is at
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hp300/index.html

Andy Carey		| "One cannot be successful in running typical
careya@peak.org		|  HP-UX boxes with man pages."
careya@bofh.org.uk	| - Bill Hassell <blh@hpuerca.atl.hp.com>