Subject: Re: xdmcp for X server fixed
To: Mark Davies <mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/11/1996 08:34:13
While we're talking about the X-server, I wonder if anyone (other than
Dave. :) ) has gotten dual-headed X working reliably? I had it working
once and then it mysteriously stopped working (ya, I know....)...
Effectively, the second head seems to be having a problem displaying fonts.
They all appear "dispersed". ie: each character is about 2 inches high
on the screen with about 10 blank pixels between each "lit" pixel and
the mouse-cursor appears as a blank-square.  The first head works just
fine...

What's also weird is that doing an 'xwd' on that monitor and then
an 'xwud' on the other one, doesn't produce what is actually displayed
on the second monitor... It produces 5x8 tiles each of which is a little
mini representation of what's on the monitor... an 'xwd' of the primary
monitor works just fine.

The whole thing is very Timothy-Leary...

I've put the xwd file up on ftp://ftp.canuck.com/pub/lager.xwd.gz for
anyone who's interested... It's 31k.

I have:

grf0 at addr 0x560000: 1280 x 1024 256 color hi-res catseye display
grf1 at scode193: 1280 x 1024 256 color hi-res catseye display

and in my X0screens I have:

/dev/grf0
/dev/grf1

and they look like:

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   10,   0 Dec 16  1993 /dev/grf0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   10,   1 Sep 15 09:23 /dev/grf1

Oh, and lager is a 400s and running fairly -current.

Anyway, I'm just curious if someone has some idea of what I've done
if anything. It'd be a special bonus if it was a result of something
Jason did 'cuz then I could make him owe me a beer...