Subject: Re: Netbooting a 9000/340
To: Charles Hannum <mycroft@deshaw.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/27/1995 14:25:30
On Mon, 25 Dec 1995 19:45:04 GMT
 mycroft@deshaw.com (Charles Hannum) wrote:

 > The rbootd in FreeBSD won't work correctly on little-endian machines.

Actually, I wasn't even aware that FreeBSD _had_ rbootd in their tree.
Our CVS logs indicate that John Brezak imported it from Utah sources in
early 1994.  That point aside, I remember helping a fellow in Texas get
rbootd working on his FreeBSD system ... It was either Scott Reynolds or
Mike Hibler that found the bug; FreeBSD's ethernet drivers want the
packet length field in a different byte-order from ours, and thus rbootd
fails on FreeBSD systems while it works on NetBSD/i386 systems.

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost the patch.  If Scott or Mike are
listening, and happen to have it, I'd certainly appreciate getting a copy
so I can check it in, wrapped inside an #ifdef __FreeBSD__/#endif.