Subject: Re: 1.1 on 9000/319
To: Matthew W. Bartels <mbartels@wwa.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/08/1995 13:54:10
On Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:00:32 -0600 (CST)
 "Matthew W. Bartels" <mbartels@wwa.com> wrote:

 > Smart People,
 > 	I am trying to install NetBSD 1.1 onto a 319 with a 7958A disk.
 > I have gotten the miniroot copied onto the disk, and can use the "boot"
 > command in SYS_INST to start it.... only problem is, I get db>, after
 >
 > nfs_boot: using network interface 'le0'
 > panic: revarp failed, error=51
 > Stopped at     _Debugger+0x6:  unlk   a6
 > db>

That is ... interesting.  The machine I developed sys_inst on is an
hp319.  The kernel has chosen to use the function nfs_mountroot() as
opposed to ffs_mountroot(), and it does this based on which boot device
the boot code passes to the kernel in register d6.  In the disk boot
code, that register contains a valid bootdev-style number.  In the
netboot code, that register contains the value 0.  The swapgeneric code
choses the mountroot function based on this value.  Specifically, if it
is 0, is chooses nfs_mountroot(), and if it is not, is looks for a
matching boot device.  If it finds none, it should panic with "no
suitable root".

Can you please e-mail me the following information:

	* Revision string on the bootblock (if applicable)

	* A few more lines of the boot messages, before the ones you
	  sent here.

Let's see if we can figure out what's happening.

 > Anyway, I'm using the inst-11.fs.gz as found in
 > /NetBSD/NetBSD-1.1/hp300/install of ftp.netbsd.org, which is labeled
 > NetBSD 1.1_ALPHA (GENERIC) #3: Thu Nov 16 18:45:14 PST 1995

The miniroot says _that_!?  Aie!  That is a mistake, which I will correct
ASAP!  (Though, it should't make any difference in this case.)

Is that the version numbers have been for other folks?