Subject: Re: problem installing NetBSD-1.1 on hp425t
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Don Lewis <gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/03/1995 01:07:10
On Dec 2, 12:51am, Jason Thorpe wrote:
} On Fri, 1 Dec 1995 20:46:55 -0800
}  gdonl@gv.ssi1.com (Don Lewis) wrote:
}
}  > This problem does not seem to occur if all the filesystems are built
}  > with 4K blocks and 1K fragments.  The panic reliably occurs if I use
}  > 8K blocks and 1K fragments.
}  >
}  > Looks like some sort of wierd filesystem bug to me.
}
} Hi ... sorry I've been slow to reply to this ...
}
} I think this might be similar to a problem Gordon Ross encountered on the
} sun3 related to page size and the vfs clustering stuff.

Even a 4K/1K filesystem isn't stable.  I ran into problems when trying
to build a new kernel.  In one case, "ld -r -o fpsp.o" failed due to an
I/O error.  Re-running make got past this OK, but I got frequent panics:

panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
panic: ifree: freeing free inode
panic: blkfree: freeing free block

All these problems were on the root filesystem and went away when I made
/tmp an mfs filesystem.  After I did this, I got another worrysome
sounding error message

swap_pager_clean: clean of page ff8f20000 failed

but the kernel build succeeded.