Subject: Re: Some cool news
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Ron Roskens <roskens@cs.umn.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/27/1995 18:05:34
Luke Mewburn writes:
> The entire backend to grscan() needs rewriting to take advantage of
> yp_match on bygid/byname.
>
> And what do you know, as part of my nsswitch implementation, I've
> done that!  I'll have beta code for nsswitch available after 1.1
> is released and I've merged my changes relative to that. And for those
> who *don't* like nsswitch (you luddites! :), you can just have
> "group: compat" and get the behaviour you want (but much faster due to
> the reworked grscan())

Grins anxiously waiting for this implementation.. 8)

> > You won't notice much of a slow down until you start using a large YP group
> > file. 1000 lines of data retransmitted for every file is a lot of extra
> > overhead that can and needs to be avoided.
>
> Funnily enough, I don't use yp for groups or passwd, just netgroups.
> On our ULTRIX boxen we use Hesiod for passwd/group. It has 1K limits
> on a single record, but at least you don't break on DBM limitations.

I was trying to say that with a 1000 line YP group file it adds to much
overhead when trying to do a "ls -l" in any directory.

Ron

--
U of MN - CS, ACM SysAdmin 	| Life is a simulation of reality.
email:roskens@cs.umn.edu	| http://www.cs.umn.edu/users/roskens/