Subject: Re: Some cool news
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ron Roskens <roskens@cs.umn.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/27/1995 15:43:08
Jason Thorpe writes:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 1995 15:13:57 -0600
>  Ron Roskens <roskens@cs.umn.edu> wrote:
>
>  > I've noticed the "ls" problem on a pc running NetBSD. Its a problem that sits
>  > inside the getgrent() function. Take the + out of /etc/group and watching
>  > things dramatically speed up.
>
> In this case, it's not the performance of the NetBSD getgrent() that's in
> question.  It's worth noting that a native NetBSD ls(1) works peachy, but
> the HP-UX ls(1) has performance problems.  Now that I'm back from my
> Thanksgiving holiday, I'll be looking into it again.

Actually the problem is inside the grscan() function. The problem lies in the
fact that when it scans the YP group file it continually retransmits the whole
database. Grscan doesn't take into account that when searching a YP database
we don't need to scan the whole database, we can request a match. Or am I
missunderstanding the yp_match() function?

You won't notice much of a slow down until you start using a large YP group
file. 1000 lines of data retransmitted for every file is a lot of extra
overhead that can and needs to be avoided.

Ron

--
U of MN - CS, ACM SysAdmin 	| Life is a simulation of reality.
email:roskens@cs.umn.edu	| http://www.cs.umn.edu/users/roskens/