Subject: Unexpected trap in netboot code...
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 10/19/1995 11:39:36
Attention all folks who've been getting the following while using the
network boot code:

	Got unexpected trap: format=b vector=8 ps=2708 pc=fff0a366

I think I've found and fixed the problem.  On non-quiet networks, it
seems as if there's the possibility of running off then end of a buffer
while reading packets from the LANCE.  I noticed that in le_poll(), the
`len' parameter wasn't used.  That seemed rather fishy, so I checked to
see if Chuck's mvme68k netboot code used it, and sure enough, he
truncates the packet if it doesn't fit into the buffer.  I sent a patch
to Scott Reynolds, who beat it up for me, and he reports that this trap
has gone away on his hp340.

So, I have placed new versions of SYS_NBOOT and SYS_INST on
ftp.NetBSD.ORG in /pub/NetBSD/arch/hp300.

Anyone who was having problems with this before, PLEASE try these new
versions as soon as possible!  I'd hate to see broken netboot code go out
in 1.1.

Ciao.