Subject: Re: HP 400's
To: Eric J. Lentz <elentz@qualcomm.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 10/18/1995 10:33:35
"Eric J. Lentz" <elentz@qualcomm.com>  wrote:
 > I have done this upgrade and you will require a osilator and prom for
 > the old motherboard as well as switch a jumper. That is about it.
 >
 > > In the HP Series 400s:
 > >
 > > Is it possible to replace the '030 daughter board with an '040?
 > > Does this require anything else beyond the '040 processor?
 > >
 > > Ron

Are you sure that works with the 400*s*? I know it works with the
400t because I've done it.  I've also done it with a 345... But I
have a 400s at home and I've tried to do this but after I do the
upgrade, the power-supply won't even come up. ie: no fan.  It's
like it's seriously unhappy... Yes, I've checked orientation of the
CPU and Crystals, etc...

Is the power-supply poweron controlled by the PROM perhaps?

In any event, when we've upgraded "s" units in the past at work
using the official HP upgrade kit, it comprised of:

a) a new CPU board (that 24" long board)
b) a new EISA controller board

The old 400s boards got shipped back to HP.