Subject: System installation program
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/23/1995 11:04:43
I just checked in the first-cut at a standalone system installation
program.  It currently allows the user to interactively label the disk,
copy a miniroot image into the `b' partition from an NFS server, and boot
that miniroot image's kernel.  Copying from HP-IB cartridge tape should be
pretty simple to add; don't yet know the feasibility of adding support
for SCSI tape.  Does anyone know which versions of the boot ROM even support
booting from SCSI tape?

In any case, I haven't made miniroot images yet; I'll try to do that this
weekend.  I tested this code using the NetBSD/hp300 1.0 `rootimage'
file.  If you want to try this code out using that image, go for it, but
be forewarned that it takes a _long_ time to dump that 15mb file :-)  I
estimate the forthcoming miniroot to be around 4mb, maybe a little more
if I decide to stick vi(1) in there :-)

There's no README for the program yet, but it's pretty simple.  It
basically prompts you for everything.  Use rbootd to get it to the target
machine just like you would with the network boot code.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the program.  I find it pretty simple to
use, but then again ... :-)

Ciao.